Tuesday 18 December 2018

Day 18 - Lonely This Christmas - Mud

When I started this calendar, the original idea was to move away from the hoary old classics that filled up the shopping malls from late October onwards. Over the years though, I've not been adverse to throwing in the odd staple as a nod to the season and because I like to think that everyone can find something here they can relate too. 

For me though, I'd always felt Les Gray and his pals had their tongues too firmly in their cheeks to really enjoy this for much more than a seventies memory jolt. This year though I felt compelled to add it to the blog because, for the first time ever, I've found something in the lyrics I'd always previously missed.

Since 1974, when this first got to Number One in the UK charts, I'd always assumed Les's woman and up and left for another but, with newly grieving ears, I've found a whole new and much more poignant meaning to this in 2018.


No comments:

Post a Comment